Why the comparisons to fruit - and interestingly not baby-shaped fruit - I'll never tell, but this week is apparently coconut week. I like coconut, so I'm ok with that. Bee is 16" long, which is practically full-sized! A small full-size, but still full. But Bee's only about 3.5 pounds, decidedly not full-sized. Keep going, Bee!
It's been one funny week. Nothing about Monday sticks out, but Tuesday saw us at Mayo for an hour and 5 minutes just for a flu shot for Paul, crazy. And then I got to share turkey gumbo with Heidi & Molly - and Paul and Molly had fun together getting into everything. Especially a silver bowl of mixed nuts we have out for the season. Btw, Paul is nuts about the nuts. He spent the entire pre-lunch morning playtime on Wednesday simply transferring the nuts from the bowl to an old cookie tin (that now holds his Little People Nativity set figures) and back again. And then adding in a third container and putting a few nuts in each thing and then shifting them around. As I'm telling Dylan this, he chuckles and asks what he could be learning through all that, but when we started listing a few skills, it's clear that Paul's chosen a challenging and educational pastime ;).
Then Thursday. Ugh, Thursday morning was nuts. Not mixed nuts. I woke at 4 and tossed and dozed on&off til 7 and then had that terrible lower-right belly pain again. I sat down on the bedroom floor for a while to let it pass as Dylan got ready for work, but I must've made Paul nervous because he wanted nothing more than to be comforted by Papa while standing next to Mama ... Dylan stayed a little later before going in to work, and I sat. all. morning. Paul and I even watched (a lot of) Thomas & Friends (for the first time - Paul looooves the trains! So cute). And so I've learned that TV does have its place. I rested, Paul snuggled, and around 11 I felt back to normal, albeit exhausted.
Bee has been big-moving and has even let Dylan in on the action - finally. He's gotten to feel quite a bit more lately, and it's really nice to feel excited about a baby. I told Dylan sometime this week that I'm looking forward to having a baby, and he scrunches up his arms in a cradle and smiles and says, yeah, to cuddle, and I said, no - I meant I'm looking forward to having the baby, but yeah, what you said, too! =) It's funny, but there's been much less external excitement about a baby this time - maybe while I was teaching I had so many different people around me that someone was always asking about it or maybe I was surrounded by my young mom-of-one and mom-to-be friends that we were all giddy about the new coming stage. Here in Austin, however, since most of those I socialize with are beyond their first's being a toddler, I hear very little "Ooo, new baby" type goings-on. Last week at Thanksgiving, it was lovely to hear Mike toast in thanks "to all of the babies!" Have I mentioned that Colleen's pregnant, too!? She's due at the beginning of May =) And has been feeling much better this time around than with Kathleen, praise God!
Then there was our first appointment with Dr. Nace and a tour of the hospital wing where I'll deliver Bee. Things went well on several fronts, including the glucose test (for which I'll drink 24oz of Welch's grape juice an hour before my next appointment), that lower belly pain (which, it turns out, is a ligament loosening; only afterwards did I remember my mom's ligament/pregnancy stories, and Dylan said, yep, she knows some stuff. And he remarked how similar our pregnancies sound - so thanks for that, Momma! Good genes.), and the maternity wing (which, with many friendly and helpful nurses, seems perfectly comfortable, despite a short "track" for lap-running, or, in this case, waddling). Dr. Nace said he's not very comfortable with no-interventions birthing and that I should bring in my birth plan next time to hash out specifics. And that I should meet the other doctors, as it's anybody's guess who'll actually be there. Certainly no Dr. Anderson, but we'll have to cope. Otherwise, Bee had his/her head up top and a good heartbeat - but all that poking around the doctor did made Paul nervous, and he frowned, then cried, despite our best efforts to comfort him.
Then there was our first appointment with Dr. Nace and a tour of the hospital wing where I'll deliver Bee. Things went well on several fronts, including the glucose test (for which I'll drink 24oz of Welch's grape juice an hour before my next appointment), that lower belly pain (which, it turns out, is a ligament loosening; only afterwards did I remember my mom's ligament/pregnancy stories, and Dylan said, yep, she knows some stuff. And he remarked how similar our pregnancies sound - so thanks for that, Momma! Good genes.), and the maternity wing (which, with many friendly and helpful nurses, seems perfectly comfortable, despite a short "track" for lap-running, or, in this case, waddling). Dr. Nace said he's not very comfortable with no-interventions birthing and that I should bring in my birth plan next time to hash out specifics. And that I should meet the other doctors, as it's anybody's guess who'll actually be there. Certainly no Dr. Anderson, but we'll have to cope. Otherwise, Bee had his/her head up top and a good heartbeat - but all that poking around the doctor did made Paul nervous, and he frowned, then cried, despite our best efforts to comfort him.
| St. Nick's day! Bring out the stockings & Santas |
No comments:
Post a Comment