Friday, August 23, 2013

16 and so very jetlagged. Again.

We're back in Minnesota. And what a week it's been! How it's already Friday, I'll never know. You'd think having been awake for more than the average number of hours this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see it already come to a Friday, but I've been in a stupor for more of the week than I'd care to acknowledge.

So, shall we back-track and begin from last Saturday first? We left Timshel & Shelley's for a 4+hr drive across Melbourne and to Mt. Evelyn in the Dandenong Ranges where there was a Knoll family gathering. It was really lovely to see and visit with everyone on that side again. In particular, Dylan and I were pleased to introduce Paul to Granddad and Marguerite!
Four hours later but all of a sudden - since we'd spoken to everyone there about 5-10 minutes each - it was 8:15, and Paul needed his bed. We drove the half hour to Blackburn South - to Nanna and Poppa Nelson - where we stayed for the last few days. Again, very pleased we could introduce Paul to his great-grandparents.
After Mass on Sunday, we went to lunch at Caitlin and Peter's place - Caits has been a good friend since Freiburg in '06 - and Nanna let me cook dinner for her and Poppa. I was happy to help, and Poppa even complimented my pasta al ragù - yes!

Monday, our last full day, was busy! We met Jen and Jaclyn Knoll (Dylan's cousins' wives I love) and their kiddos at a park in Blackburn, and then we took a lovely walk in expectation of soon sitting for a very long time. Around lunch time, we had an unexpected visit from Wayne, and then it was Paul's last Aussie nap time (this trip). That evening, Dylan's Uncle Dave, Auntie Erin and awesome cousins came over for dinner to celebrate Nanna's 87th birthday. Told ya it was a busy day.

Then we come to Tuesday. Ah, Tuesday August 20, 2013 - longest. day. ever. Technically the day lasted from 4am Melbourne time til we hit the pillow at midnight in MN (3pm next day Melbourne time); that makes a 35 hour day. And it was a doozy. Being (over-) tired makes me a little queasy on the best of days, add to that 3 take-offs and landings, turbulence, and BEE, and it's a recipe for disaster. Ok, so nothing was disastrous exactly, and it could've been a lot worse (because Paul was excellent!!),
but I still felt pretty wrecked. Our scheduled flight out of LAX was a mess, too, so we ended up flying via Denver instead of Houston, which tacked on an extra 6 hrs waiting time. I know this is a lot of whining, but Dylan and I have definitively decided to avoid long-haul travel while I'm pregnant. It's so easy to say months ahead of time - sure, that won't be easy, but we can do it! Now we know. We shouldn't do it. I hardly ever cared for Paul except for feeding him and only sometimes changing him; and I couldn't have him on my lap properly because of growing Bee. Dylan was a champ! He isn't invincible, though, and he decided it was too much to drive on to Austin from St. Paul at midnight; so we slept a few hours at Mike & Colleen's before heading home early on Wednesday morning - my birthday.

Oh, yeah! My birthday. Paul gave me a good nap =) (he slept from 9-1), and Dylan took us to dinner, not to mention the nice pressies I had in the mail waiting for me. Thank you!! I was just so very thankful we got home safely and are (all 4 of us) healthy that I'm looking forward to resting up and taking better care of lil Bee for the next 5 months. Did you enjoy your first trip, Bee? I think you might have liked the pies the best ;) and all the tea I'm drinking now that you're in the 2nd trimester.

Yesterday and today have been spent in a sort of blur, too, trying to get over this jetlag. It's never been as bad as when we can see its natural effect on a toddler. In all our travels, Dylan and I just chug through and get on schedule in a day or two. It's been so different! We've had two nights of midnight snacking between 1-3am, and poor Dylan's had an empty schedule at work; bittersweet, I guess. Perhaps he is able to rest his mind a little, at least; maybe he'd make some grave mistake if he were busy ;). We're all looking forward to together time this weekend. May the next work-week be a little easier to manage!

I almost forgot - sheesh! Lying in bed on our last night - so, Monday the 19th? - I thought I felt a first flutter. Ah, if that's what it was, I was so happy to welcome it! Best feeling. I laid my hand low on my belly to see if Bee would do anything else, but that was it. With all the discomfort on marathon-Tuesday, I didn't feel anything, and then yesterday or Wednesday I think there was a little something again. You'd think I would know what to expect now, but it's so faint and at random, I'm still not sure. When Paul first moved, he banged around in there for a minute or so and then stopped. (Coincidentally, that was also in Australia 2 years ago, though I'm now earlier with Bee than I was with Pea.) I wonder if it has to do with the placenta placement, which is at the front this time, rather than at the back, hm. I looooved feeling Pea move, and I'm looking forward to more from our Busy Bee hopefully soon =). Next check-up: Monday the 26th. And for this week's growing bump:



No comments:

Post a Comment